Is a sub 10 hour Ironman possible.....

Is a sub 10hr IM possible, training less than 10 hours a week for less than 10 weeks.... With no significant base????

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The background

My name is Leo Jenkins, I am a Crossfit/ Crossfit Endurance coach and certified USA Triathlon coach in Golden Colorado. I work between 60-70 hours a week training/coaching an amazing group of athletes at www.rangerendurance.com so I don't have a lot of time for myself to train.

 My goal is to break 10 hours in an Ironman this year.  You may be saying, that's been done.  True, but not like this.  I will be training a total of less than 10 hours a week TOTAL starting at less than 10 weeks prior to my event (Redman 140.6 Oklahoma City, September 25th).  I will be using this blog to track my workouts and nutrition over the next 9 1/2 weeks. 

The majority of my workouts will be crossfit & crossfit endurance based, with only 1 or 2 longer steady efforts each week. 


I have done two previous Iron distance (140.6 mile) events.  The Great Illini in September of 2008 and Ironman Arizona in November of 2009.  My best time was at IM AZ using a very traditional (25-307  hour a week) training plan.  My swim was 1:06 / Bike 5:00 / Run 4:25   with a finish time of
 10:35: & change.

Can an athlete reduce their training volume by a third and cut 40 minutes off of their IM personal best????   Keep in mind I have done almost NO BASE TRAINING in the preceding months, mostly Crossfit and short duration, (sub 60 minute) high intensity computrainer rides at my facility in Golden Colorado. 



Follow along and see if it is possible for someone who works full time to use a crossfit endurance protocol to achieve a Personal Best at an ultra event.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting! Would be interested to see how a group of people will do with this training regime. I think you may be on to something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this link on the USAT coaches board. I'm interested to see how it turns out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete